NEO is a project that utilizes blockchain technology and digital identity to digitize assets, to automate the management of digital assets using smart contracts, and to realize a “smart economy” with a distributed network.
Logo of NEO
|Ticker symbol||NEO, formerly ANS|
|Initial release||February 2014 as AntShares|
|Block explorer||neotracker |
|Circulating supply||c. 65.0 million (as of 6 March 2018)|
|Supply limit||100 million|
NEO is a blockchain platform and cryptocurrency which enables the development of digital assets and smart contracts. The project is based in China and was originally launched in 2014 as AntShares. NEO uses a delegated Byzantine Fault Tolerance (dBFT) consensus mechanism and can support up to 10,000 transactions per second. NEO tokens can be staked to produce GAS tokens which are used as the fuel of the platform, to pay for computation or deployment of smart contracts within the NEO network. The project was founded by Da Hongfei.
NEO rebranded from Antshares to NEO in June of 2017. 
A total of 100 million NEO was issued and represents the ownership of the chain. 100 million was created in the Genesis Block and distributed according to distribution mechanism as described in its white paper. The total amount of NEO shares is fixed at 100 million and can not be increased. The smallest unit of the NEO is 1 NEO and cannot be divided.
NEO works on the guidelines of Delegated Byzantine Fault Tolerance ( dbFT ). This technology offers quick verification of the transactions relies on one blockchain, zero risks about the leaking of the blockchain transactions, the safety of forks and lessens the risk of any illegal actions.
NEO will support almost all programming languages via a compiler, including those on Microsoft.net, Java, Kotlin, Go and Python, greatly lowering the difficulty for developers to write smart contracts. 
The Two Tokens: NEO vs GAS
The Neo ecosystem has two tokens:
- NEO – formerly known as Antshares (ANS).
- Max Supply: 100,000,000
- Total Supply: 100,000,000
- Circulating Supply: 65,000,000
- Remaining Supply: 35,000,000
- GAS – formerly known as Antcoins (ANC).
- Max Supply: 100,000,000
- Total Supply: 10,457,112 (as of Dec 2017)
- Circulating Supply: 8,267,959 (as of Dec 2017)
- Remaining Supply: 2,189,153 (as of Dec 2017) 
The NEO system includes:
- Delegated Byzantine Fault Tolerance (DBFT) algorithm – This is a consensus mechanism
- NeoX – This system will create the ability to execute and operate across various Blockchains
- NEO Contract – Is the mechanism for creating smart contracts seamlessly in scalable, high performance environments that integrates pre-existing codebases (e.g. C#, VB.Net, F#, Java, Kotlin)
- NeoFS – This is a service which allows decentralized storage (like a peer to peer Dropbox)
- NeoQ – A lattice-based cryptographic mechanism which creates problems that cannot be solved by quantum computers and ensuring being quantum-proof 
- "Who is NEO's Da Hong Fei? A Career Spotlight". CoinCentral.
- "NEO (NEO) price, charts, market cap, and other metrics – CoinMarketCap". coinmarketcap.com.
- "Titan Digital Asset Group Research, NEO: The Vanguard of a Digitized China". Strategic Coin. Retrieved 27 December 2017.
- "Why You Should Keep Qtum on Your Radar in 2018". CryptoSlate. Retrieved 27 December 2017.
- "The new age of ICOs is here, and it's not based on Ethereum". TechCrunch. Retrieved 13 January 2018.
- "Bitcoin and Cryptocurrency: What You Need to Know". Rolling Stone. Retrieved 27 December 2017.
- "China's Largest Cryptocurrency Thrives Despite Intense Crackdown". Bloomberg Technology. Retrieved 13 January 2018.
- "NEO versus Ethereum: Why NEO might be 2018's strongest cryptocurrency". Hacker Noon. 2017-12-06. Retrieved 2018-02-24.
- "NEO Cryptocurrency - Beginner's Guide".
- Fink, Bradley. "Antshares Rebrands, Introduces NEO and the New Smart Economy". Bitcoin Magazine. Retrieved 2018-02-16.
- "What is Neo Blockchain? Beginners Guide". Blockgeeks. 2017-12-09. Retrieved 2018-02-13.
- "What is NEO Cryptocurrency?". CoinCentral. 2017-11-02. Retrieved 2018-02-14.